Johns Manville, a leading building products manufacturer, announced today the launch of JM Formaldehyde-free™ Cavity-SHIELD™, a NFPA 13 compliant1, fiberglass batt insulation for use in the concealed spaces of multifamily buildings. Cavity-SHIELD provides an alternative solution to sprinklers in the interstitial space and further increases the breadth of JM’s full line of insulation products.
Cavity-SHIELD fiberglass batts are a noncombustible insulation product made up of long, resilient glass fibers bonded with thermosetting resin. The batts are designed for use in concealed spaces between floors, serving as a passive fire solution for limiting potential flame spread between and through floors.
When installed per the NFPA 131, Cavity-SHIELD eliminates the need for sprinkler systems within concealed floor spaces, saving construction time and money and eliminating long-term maintenance and water leaks.
Additional product advantages include:
- Simple installation: Batts are friction-fit into cavities, without the need for special equipment, reducing the time and resources required for installers to complete the job
- Smart engineering: Available in a wide range of thicknesses, Cavity-SHIELD can be easily cut with a standard utility knife to fit in any cavity size
- Cost-effective alternative: Cavity-SHIELD is another option for construction professionals looking for passive fire protection and a cost-effective alternative to blow-in or sprinklers in the interstitial space
- Durability: Fiberglass has proven to withstand the life of the project and will not rot, mildew or deteriorate
- Formaldehyde-free™: JM Formaldehyde-free™ insulation products promote higher indoor air quality and environments, while also limiting exposure to harmful volatile organic compounds, which could cause health problems
- Sound control: Cavity-SHIELD offers the same acoustical reduction benefits between floors when compared to other JM insulation products
“Johns Manville is committed to ensuring customers have the product options available matched to their specific needs, and we recognized an opportunity to create an alternative fire protection product for customers with Cavity-SHIELD insulation batts,” said Mandy Schweitzer, Senior Product Manager at Johns Manville. “Offering a batt product that combines passive fire protection with the high-quality standards customers expect from Johns Manville, allows for flexibility in project options, ultimately saving both time and resources.”
Johns Manville Formaldehyde-free™ Cavity-SHIELD™ is available immediately. Visit JM.com